Saturday, June 14, 2008

Processed Foods & Junk Foods: The Enemies!!!! My Solution...Personal Receipe Book!

Hi my name is Sarah, and I am addicted to processed/junk foods. Yes I admit I have/had a serious problem. Yes, I used to shop in the isles of the grocery store for most of my food products, instead of around the parameter of the store where all the "healthy" choices are. This year alone I couldn't tell you how much healthy food I have wasted by throwing it out as it has spoiled (yes many bags of salad).


Working as a Nurse, you would think I would know to make healthier choices with the foods I eat. As a student I remember making a lot of really "convenient" choices of foods that I would eat because of lack of time, stress and convience. Some of my processed enemies included: crackers, cookies, chocolate, popcorn and real butter, frozen dinners, canned foods. Junk food has also been a problem for me as well the last approximately 6 years eating foods like timbits, candy, chocolate bars, anything really! There was a time in my life I remember a few years back thinking "I don't know when I ate REAL food last." My days were made up of convience foods and a lot of McDonald's, and Pizza.


I know it will take sometime before my taste buds change and I start to really crave REAL food, but I am already noticing a big difference. I try to grocery shop much differently now, as well as not eat out at fast food restarunts or resteraunts in general at this point. I want to gain control on what I put into my body.


I find it very difficult and continue to struggle with processed foods/high sugar content foods, they indeed are my enemy. Finding what foods keep me fuller longer, is something I have to invest more time in. REAL food seems much more appealing to me then those processed high sugar foods, but I won't lie-I still struggle with this.

My solution for this.....My own cookbook! It was like a eureka moment for me tonight. I think this will be beneficial to have recepies printed out under each meal category: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, as well as healthy snack options. I find I am limited, and often repeat meals, which over time isn't so appealing! I also think trying to make something new each week, will keep me eating healthy foods, which will fill up my personal recipe book.


Looking forward to try out new receipes, as well as customize my food menu, why didn't I think of this years ago?

No comments: