Tuesday, October 28, 2008

ASKING FOR HELP!

I've been thinking about all aspects of weight loss:Food, exercise, behavioral and support systems. I think all 4 are equally important, and will determine one's success in long term weight loss.

I am quite a independent woman, and I have always put more on my plate then I can handle (pun intended lol) Plain and simple, I don't like to ask for help-detest it really. I like to do it all on my own, but realize as great as this quality can be in personal development, it also works against me. I have worked 2 jobs and gone to school both full time and part time. I have sacrafised many aspects of my life to be where I am today. Unfortunately my health has suffered the most, being on the back burner, and coping skills for stress, turned to emotional eating.

Why do I do this? To prove to myself I can in fact do anything, and everything. In turn this acts against me, it adds added stress to the equation, and often unnecessary stress. Stress in turn leads to my uncontrollable urge to reach for foods that are not healthy, processed-sugar filled foods, due to the lack of postive coping skills. I have realized that this is a area I must address. More so, I realize this is a area I feel I need to reach out and ask for help.

I've decided to address all areas of my health including emotional, physical, support, and eating a balanced diet. I have asked for help, and not to my surprize help arrived! I've decided that counselling will be good for my mind, my soul to address issues from the past and present that I have struggled with. I've met with this woman, Cheryl yesterday and found how empowered I felt after our first session. Empowered to talk to this total stranger about all the good and bad that has occured in my life, and to set myself free of these emotional traps I am in.

Talking to her, I allowed myself to be vulnerable. I opened up my heart, and a used a whole lotta tissue!! lol I left feeling empowered, and emotionally tired, almost as if I ran a 100 miles, for those who don't know me, I couldn't run even 1 mile at this point lol.

Not only that, I have looked into joining weight watchers. Asking others around me how they have found the program, reading the material etc, researching-which those who know me, I love to do lol. I feel this will be a great supportive atmophere for me, and I will meet like minded people, with common goals, and hopefully surround myself with new people in my life.

Let's face it, loosing weight by myself, on my own would be wonderful! However, loosing weight and having "my team" of professionals and like minded people, will help make this journey much more enjoyable!

Lesson learned here: It's o.k to ask for help!

No comments: