Saturday, December 20, 2008

Staying Motivated During the Holidays!

Well, it's that time of year again-Christmas. As much as I am looking forward to spend time with my family and friends, I know I have to prepare to get myself through this, the sweets that is.

Here's a confession: I had chocolate last night, 6 Lindor chocolates and a chocolate bar the day before. Sigh. I could beat myself up about it, but I won't, I know it could have been much much worse!! Typically around this time of year, there are tempting foods EVERYWHERE, and there are decisions to make. I can remember in past years how easy it was to cope with the stress and anxiety of the holidays, and how I would binge myself though them.

Typically this is what happened. I would purchase chocolate for loved ones and purchase chocolate/sweets for myself, and eat both. I remember having to buy the same chocolate or a different treat several times over because Christmas couldn't arrive soon enough. I would even go to great lengths of wrapping the chocolate, and at times, would open the "present" and eat it. It is deffinately a eye opener reading this, and admiting it.

I made it through Halloween safely minus a few mini chocolates. I had a game plan. I didn't buy ANY chocolate this year, despite how great it is to see chocolate go on sale 50% off. Sigh. Part of the problem for me at Christmas, is purchasing loved ones gifts of food. I told myself I wasn't going to buy ANY gifts of food this year, and caved when i saw Lindor chocolates on for 50% off at Homesence. That should be a crime itself!

I must say however, in the last 2 months, I can probably count on my one hand the amount of chocolate I have consumed. My cravings for junk food/sweets have diminished since I've started to eat healthy, and that is great! I might still be a chocolate-o-holic underneath, but I know I have more self control then I ever have had in my life-which is quite powerful.

As I sit here and type this, I can see that bag of Lindor chocolates-which reminds me of many boxes of "Christmas chocolates" that I would have eaten. Makes me laugh-really. I can see how I have changed many aspects of my eating, and then I can see how old habits can creep up. Coupled with "my time of the month" I am in a VERY vulnerable time period here!

There will be many more times in my life where I will be faced with decisions, and temptations. I am definitely a rookie when it comes to permanent weight loss, I have so much to learn yet. So when I stare at that bag of Lindor chocolates, I have a decision to make. Do I want to stay in the past?...or...Do I want to change for the future?

I choose the future.

No comments: