Monday, January 19, 2009

Emotional Eating

This isn't the first post on the subject of Emotional Eating, and I am sure it won't be the last! I struggle with emotional eating, I have for as long as my weight has been a issue. Eating is a poor coping technique that I turn to when filled with emotions such as: Anxiety, anger, sadness, lonliness. However these days I have been putting a stop to a lot of my emotional eating, and have become much more aware. Awareness is key.

This week I have been struggling with emotions regarding my dating life, and saying goodbye to a man I thought so highly of for so long, 3 years to be exact. I havn't yet said goodbye, and one thing I hate the most is saying goddbye. I avoid at all costs. However it must be done. The bad out ways the good, and I have learned that I deserve more, and he can not offer me what I need. I have come to terms with this, after hours on the phone and hours in person talking with close girlfriends, over the course of our offical dating period of 1.5 months, I finally realize "He's just not that into me". Funny how I have had that book for almost a year and have never read it. LOL

They say good things come to those who wait. I sure hope "they" are right. Feels like I have been alone for so long, and truth is I have. I am deffinately more content with being on my own these days then I have ever had in the past. I am more comfortable with being just with myself, and enjoying my company. I have been learning so much about me lately and trying different things, I am starting to feel "alive" again. I actually feel like I am getting to know who I am.

Getting back to the Emotional Eating. It's been tough this week. I've had a few days where i'd like to name them the "see food diet" I see the food, I eat the food. Basically I was unable to control myself, I lost my control. In comparison to previous "binges" I wouldn't compare the food choices I have made even that extreame. However, I ate in excess, ate when I was not hungry, ate what was there, cookies, pizza, cookies....lol Cookies seem to be a binge food for me, always have. I ate to cope through feelings of anxiety and lonliness I have been feeling the past week. I could beat myself up about this, like usual and regress and turn to my old ways, however I am learning new habits. Habits require time to perfect, and changing a habit, takes a lot of awareness.

I am giving myself "props" here lol. I have been aware of my actions, and my choices and the concequences associated with them. I am aware that change requires time, and old habits can be hard to break.

The point is...."Never, Never Never, give up!".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amazingly powerful brutally honest post.

and the first of yours Ive read.

Im off to explore.

MizFit

Sarah said...

Thanks MizFit!! I was starting to get worried that nobody actually read my blog!! lol Thanks for leaving a comment! I knew i ate for emtional reasons, but it wasn't until about 6 months ago that I have become aware of how much i do it. Awareness is key. I am sure this will be key to my future weight loss success and maintence! Thanks for reading!